Note from Adriana: Please view the Travel, Health, and Wellness Resource Page for details about traveling during the spread of COVID-19. These tips can serve you best when you resume travel in the Summer or Fall of 2020. Save them for future travel!
This email contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). Thanks for your support!
Travel planned or unplanned, it goes well if it ends well. Everyone loves to travel at one or the other point in time. Leisure time & planned travel is easy & exciting, unlike the unplanned ones. But in any kind of travel plan, the most important thing is to ensure that you take care of your own & your companions’ safety throughout.
There are a few things that you can do to ensure travel safety. Some can be taken care of before you start traveling & few are a matter of choice during the trip. Sharing below a few important things you can consider doing as a part of travel safety. The below mentioned is regarding a solo traveler but it can be helpful for many travel plans.
12 Safety Tips for 2020:
- Look for a safe mode of transportation of travel to the destination: Make sure you have explored all modes of transport to the desired destination. Do not choose a mode of transport just because it’s cheap. Do not compromise on your safety!
- Opt for travel insurance before you start: It is always better to keep your travel insurance with you in case of any unexpected emergency.
- Chose a safe time & place for arrival & departure: Even if you travel solo or in groups, you need to ensure it’s the right & safe time to travel to an unknown place. You also need to make sure you have a planned and safe mode of transportation to your destination.
- Know your destination well: Know about the culture and rules. Read up on the recent news regarding places you are about to visit. It is always better to be comfortable with the whereabouts of the place you will visit.
- Keep all of your important documents: There should be absolutely no excuse if you lose your important documents, like your passport, ticket, any other ID, or business documents, etc.
- Take care of your valuables: Make sure you keep a constant eye on your belongings. Even if you trust your environment or hotel, make sure to leave nothing valuable laying around.
- Do not trust strangers: Sometimes when you travel solo, you might need help with your luggage or with directions. Be careful trusting a person you don’t know.
- Keep your emergency contacts handy: Make sure you have a contact mentioned either on the lock screen of your phone or in your pockets wherever it is easy to locate. As I said, precaution is better than cure.
- Locals are the best guides: Whenever you think of exploring an unknown place make sure you consider a local touring option as they know their territory best. Well, be sure you don’t get mugged.
- Find the best alternative way to get home if your original plan fails: Always have a plan B ready, even if you lose time or your phone.
- Mobile Connectivity: Do not connect to every free WiFi wherever you go. Make sure you use trusted sources, such as in your hotel. For a long journey, make sure your data roaming is activated.
- Last but not the least, money: Make sure you carry only a sufficient amount of money needed for your trip. If you don’t have easy access to ATMs & it’s a place where cards are easily accepted, you need not carry a lot of cash. Also, make sure you know how to block the cards in case you lose them.
Happy Journey, People :). I hope you enjoy your trip. Be safe!
Bio: Rujuta Mhaskar is an ex-social media manager & currently a homemaker. She loves exploring different areas of interest like travel, food, shopping, art, etc and has put forth her best learnings. Instagram | Blog