The family post on October 27th with this update:
“In an effort to keep this case moving, we ask that anyone who has a tip, please call our family hotline. You may call the police also, but please make sure we know about it too, so we can assure they follow up on it. Family tip line is 808-757-5102. Thank you for your continued support and prayers it has truly been uplifting. Take care and please stay safe. Much love to all, The Henry family.”
Posted from: Find Khiara Henry Facebook Page
Where is Khiara Henry? The 23-year-old woman from San Diego who decided to vacation in Maui this summer.
Since then, it’s been over a year since her disappearance, and not a single lead to her safe return. Where are you, Khiara? And, why hasn’t there been major media coverage of your disappearance?
So, who is Khiara Henry?
I learned about Khiara’s story while browsing my tv for something good and entertaining last Sunday. Unfortunately, I happen upon a CBS Sunday Morning news story about Kyle Brittain, a tourist in Hawaii, that’s gone missing too. Now going on 16 days.
At that moment, Kyle’s story captured my attention. It’s a tale that no one ever wants to be true. Yet, there wasn’t just one person missing, but two travelers missing. In the same segment, the host mentioned Khiara’s disappearance and case, which shocked and concerned me. I began to think:
“Where’s the media coverage for her story?”
“Did I miss something?”
“Was this a sign that there wasn’t any hope for her safe return?“
A knot formed in my stomach.
I discovered the details surrounding her disappearance and the lack of insight into where she’s actually been for this long. Here’s a traveler of color with so much life ahead of her, missing for almost over two months. And, no one I know seems to know about it.
But, who is she?
“She’s a helpful person and likes to lend a hand,” describes Khiara’s Family in a Facebook post written on August 5th. They further provide details about their missing loved one as a person who loves “hiking and anything outdoors. [Khiara] prefers the outdoors to the indoors.”
In fact, Khiara takes interest in group adventures, animals and volunteering, even previously participating in beach cleanups.
So, it’s no surprise as to why this 23-year old would visit and travel to Hawaii for a quick getaway. Hawaii has the ideal outdoor adventures fit for groups or solo travelers.
The question is: did she go on an adventure alone or with one or more strangers that led to her disappearance?
What do we know about the disappearance of Khiara Henry?
Here’s the timeline that chronicles the before and after of Khiara’s disappearance.
- Traveled to Maui for vacation
- Checked into the Aston Maui Hill Hotel on July 18th
- She made the reservation with this hotel until the 21st
- And, attempted to book a different hotel in Kihei for July 22nd through 29th
- She booked her return flight for July 29th
- Took a tour during the first few days of her trip
- One of them included a tour of Wainapanapa Park on July 19th
- The next day (July 20th), she also took a tour with Hike Maui to Wailele Farms
- Rented a black Nissan Sentra from Hertz Rent-A-Car at Kahului Airport on July 21st
- Rented car for one night
- Drove to Waianapanapa State Park
- The mileage indicated that she drove from the rental company to the park. Possibly stopping on the way but not veering off of her route.
- Believed to have gone hiking (not confirmed)
- Last seen on July 21st at 2 pm renting the car from Hertz
- Her banking activity also ended on this day
- Authorities found Khiara’s car rental on July 25th in Waianapanapa State Park in Hana
- Vehicle contained Khiara’s luggage, credit card, and ID
- Did not find the rental car keys and Khiara’s cellphone and a small backpack
- They found the outfit shown in the videos below in the rental car.
- Reported missing on July 26th by her sister
- Missed her flight on July 29th
Below, are three videos that show Khiara on the day she went missing.
You can see Khiara walking into the rental car agency, the day she was last seen.
She speaks with a representative, books her rental, and in the video below, leaves the garage to never been seen again.
It is now more than a year since Khiara’s disappearance.
In an effort to garner more attention to her story and hopefully helpful leads to her discovery, Khiara’s Family started a Facebook Page that has provided updates, videos, public statements and information about the ongoing case. The latest post is dated from October 27th.
The family routinely detail the searches that have been and are conducted to find Khiara (see below).
How to help
The family has started a Go Fund Me account to help with the costs of helicopter rentals, drones, flyers and more. “We need to raise funds to do so. We have not paid MSAR or STAT, they both search[ed] for free,” the family stated in a post from September 10th. The family made clear though that they “hesitated to promote the Go Fund Me because [Khiara] is missing and we don’t want anybody questioning that.”
There’s so much work to be done, so here’s how you can help with the efforts.
- The family has organized a reward of $10,000 for the first tip leading to Khiara’s safe return or arrest of the person(s) involved in her disappearance. If you are in and around Maui, and spot Khiara or have information about her whereabouts, please contact the Family Tip Line at 808-757-5102.
- Also, call police at (808)-270-6516 or (808)-244-6400 if you have any more information.
- Share Khiara’s story on social media, among your network, and anyone going or living in Hawaii.
Major Networks/Publications that have written about this case thus far: